Sant Cugat del Vallès (Spain)
Type of building: Tertiary civic center. The total surface is 2.440,25 m2 on one floor.
Reversible air to water heat pump: 93.6 kW (cooling capacity) – 96.3 (heating capacity). Air handling unit (AHU): 110 kW (cooling capacity) – 67.78 (heating capacity). 2 x split air conditioner: 2.1 kW (cooling capacity) – 3 (heating capacity)
- TP3, Solar-driven HP: Solar thermal (TVP) drives the thermal compressor of the adsorption chiller (FAHRENHEIT) with increased efficiency to provide 50kW cooling capacity with existing 93 kW chiller on the existing cooling distribution HP boiler Adsorption chiller Reversible HP Solar thermal PV Thermal Energy Storage RES installed14 — 50 kW — 189 kW — 10,000 l 224 kW
- Installation of solar panels on flat roof and connections to gallery room
- Installation of solar thermal tank and chiller in the gallery
- Integrated control system for the smart operation of H&C system
- High performance in cooling operation thanks to solar thermal (TVP) and thermal energy storage (RATIOTHERM) to run hybrid adsorption chiller (FAHRENHEIT) at the highest efficiency
Installation of TP3 components in Sant Cugat del Vallès.
Furthermore, these are the main components:
Some technical notions:
35.5SH/83.8SC MWh demand :
- 220 m² TVP LTpower panels
- 10 m3 buffer tank Ratiotherm
- 50VCV/20SORP kW Fahrenheit hybrid chiller
- fsav,GHG = 33%, and 35% of cost sav.
- Medium scale tertiary buildings and residential. New and renovated buildings
- Sunny climates
Technical and social risks & difficulties
The initial assessment is that there is very limited risk in coupling both innovations (i.e. HP boiler and solar hybrid PV-T). However, several challenges were observed during deployment phase:
- Minor budget deviations due the rental of cranes and common material
- The installation of an exchanger in the heat stage has been foreseen to reduce the inlet temperature of the existing hot water heat pump. Temperatures of 70 to 95ºC were not admissible at the inlet of the heat pump
- The solar panels total surface and distribution had to be adjusted according to the real roof surface.
- Difficulties to integrate the different monitoring system from different equipment
- The system had to manage some civil works to adapt to the big volume of the thermal tank and some reinforcement had to be performed to support the solar field and the tanks
- The technical room needs minor adaptations like to increase the passage width for the entrance of the equipment (basically the chillers) and opening wall passages for the interconnection between the thermal tank and the chillers
- To find the optimal design for solar collector surface
- The scalability of the system
With regards to the solar zone identified in D2.2, the expected primary energy saving ranges for TP5, calculated by considering a standard heat pump, are:
- High solar zone: 30-50%
- Medium solar zone: 20-40%
- Low solar zone: 5-25%
For the primary energy saving calculation, only cooling operation was considered.
• Reinforcement of the floor was needed for the storage, which was not foreseen at the proposal stage
• The TVP will allow to reduce the consumption from the existing heat pump, provide nearly all heating in Winter.
Pv magazine has published an article about solar thermal panel for large-scale applications. SunHorizon uses TVP Solar technology in its project. In particular, it uses TVP Solar panel in Technology Packages 1, 3, and 5. Click here if you want more information on them. The TVP Solar panel has an absorption surface of 1.96 m2 […]
SunHorizon participated at the 3rd edition of DecarbCities, hosted by the City of Vienna (MuseumsQuartier) on the 11st and 12nd of May 2022. The urgency of the EU’s net zero emissions targets fits into the recent energy crisis in Europe and set out a clear call to accelerate the heat transition towards sustainable low-carbon supply. […]
On the 17th of November 2021, VEOLIA, CARTIF, CNR ITAE met at the Mira Sol civic center in Sant Cugat (Spain) where the SunHorizon demo manager, Gerard Riba (AJSCV) showcased the technologies installed in the technical room, inside the facility, and on the rooftop of the site. The partners had the chance to visit the […]
Interview to Mr. Víctor Martínez del Rey, Director of Urban Quality and Mobility Department of Sant Cugat City Council, Ajuntament de Sant Cugat del Vallès (AJSCV), Spain Demo site ID: Location: Mira-sol Civic Center, in Sant Cugat del Vallès (Spain) Type of building: Tertiary Civic Center. This building was built in two phases:The first one was built […]